Homemade plain yogurt is a delicious probiotic-rich meal or snack. KidNutriYum recommends bananas (berries or other fruit), chia seeds, and homemade granola as a nutrient dense complete option that will leave you feeling satiated. Kids may also enjoy this as an ingredient in popsicles, smoothies, oatmeal, or even homemade muffins.
4 Liters of Fine Filtered Milk (2% or 3.25%).
3 Heaping Tablespoons of Plain Yogurt with Active Cultures. Alternatively, you could use the previous batch you have made for 4-5 generations before starting again.
1) In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat milk on a stove-top on medium-high heat. Use a thermometer and set the alarm to sound once the temperature has reached 110 degrees.
2) When the milk reaches 110 degrees, remove 1 cup of the heated milk, and place it in a Tupperware with a tight fitting lid. Add 3 heaping tablespoons of the yogurt starter to the heated milk. Cover with the lid and shake vigorously. Set aside while the balance of the milk continues to heat.
3) When the thermometer reaches the 110 degrees as indicated above, set the temperature to 176 degrees and continue to heat the milk until it has reached this desired temperature. At 176 degrees, remove the milk from the heat and allow it to cool, uncovered, for one hour.
4) Once the milk has cooled for one hour, shake the Tupperware with the starter vigorously once again. Pour this mixture into the cooled milk and whisk vigorously for a couple of minutes.
5) Transfer the pot to a warming plate and set the thermometer to 125 degrees. The ideal is to maintain a temperature of 110 degrees, never exceeding 125 degrees, such that if the alarm goes off, you need to reduce the temperature on the warming plate. Maintain this temperature for 7 hours.
6) Remove from heat, cover, and place in refrigerator overnight. The next morning, strain the yogurt in a cheesecloth to the desired consistency for 2-4 hours (the longer you strain, the more you will reach a Greek yogurt consistency with a higher protein content.)
7) Label and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!